Finance & investment
Listed companies set to outperform in PR19
Macquarie tips Severn Trent and South West Water to lead the pack from 2020
- CfD prices could lead to questions about tidal contracts, analyst warns Low prices for offshore wind could put the government under "increased pressure to explain how the deal will offer value"
- NI Water delivers ‘record levels’ of wastewater compliance Utility company reports pre-tax profits of more than £100 million
- Thames Water to increase energy extraction from sewage Water company says new techniques can help it extract 90% of calorific value from sewage sludge
- Ofwat CEO rejects industry fears on cost of capital Cathryn Ross knocks back water company complaints about projected cost of equity in PR19
- Gas networks defend RIIO returns Double-digit RoRE returns are ‘driving cost reductions for customers’
- Good Energy sees revenue rise by 16 per cent Gross profits fall slightly to £14.4 million over same time period
- Link payouts to customer performance, says Ofwat Water regulator boss hits back at "rip-off" claims
- Battery storage will cut costs for transmission networks, says Moody’s Credit rating agency predicts widespread use of battery technology will bring down customer bills
- Off-shore wind halves in cost Record prices as windfarms clear latest Contracts for Difference round at £58/MWh
- Stop ‘squandering money’ on low carbon projects, says Tim Yeo Chairman of New Nuclear Watch Europe urges Dieter Helm to focus on ‘value for money’
- GFG Alliance unveils new windfarm project Onshore wind facility could help power infrastructure group’s aluminium smelter.
- ‘Unduly harsh’ price review could create bill spike, warns Northumbrian Water company claims PR19 methodology "shifts the dial too far"
- ‘Tough’ regulatory regime could deter investors, warns Anglian Water company urges Ofwat to look at PR19 framework in the round
- Greencoat predicts more offshore wind "We constructed the company to be the buyer of choice for utilities," says partner.
- Ofwat got its sums wrong on PR19, says water company-commissioned report KPMG report for Anglian, Northumbrian and Affinity Water challenges regulator’s financial assumptions for total market...
AnalysisNigel Hawkins: Off-shore wind comes of age Analyst Nigel Hawkins assesses the wider implications of the record CfD results The devil in the detail of PR19 Battle lines are being drawn between the regulator and water companies over the next price review. Utility Week sums up the... Curse of the profit warning The financial markets abhor uncertainty, and nothing shouts ‘uncertainty’ as loudly as an unexpected profit warning. A share... More >
ColumnTim Yeo: Stop squandering money on low carbon projects New Nuclear Watch Europe chairman and former chair of the energy and climate change select committee writes exclusively for... PR19: all eyes on the WACC Ofwat has warned its next price control period – PR19 – will be “tougher for the average company”. Nigel Hawkins looks at... Is Thames Water fit for purpose? Former Ofwat boss Ian Byatt says company must change – or be broken up. More >
InterviewsOfgem confirms £200m cut to DNO spending Regulator wants ‘a better deal for customers’ Chris Train, chief executive, Cadent Following the creation of Cadent from National Grid's former gas distribution businesses, Chris Train reflects on the... Interview: Basil Scarsella, chief executive, UK Power Networks UK Power Networks chief executive Basil Scarsella has been voted one of the ten most transformational leaders in utilities.... More >
Market ViewEconomics driving the growth in community energy schemes Sound economics as well as sustainability make community energy schemes a rational choice for many towns and cities in... The costs and rewards of getting your telecoms systems right It is important to understand and manage the costs associated with changing processes and systems in order to get the most... Making network charging fairer How can we make sure all consumers pay a fair share of network costs, asks Frances Warburton. More >