Finance & investment
Listed companies set to outperform in PR19
Macquarie tips Severn Trent and South West Water to lead the pack from 2020
- Clean baseload challenge 'overplayed' by nuclear lobby The need for investment in green baseload to balance the intermittent intput of renewable energy sources is exaggerated,...
- Offshore wind costs have further to fall, says Dong "No suggestion at all" that costs are close to bottoming out
- Energy powers UK economy by £24 billion Trade body publishes two new reports on day of annual conference
- Drax Group boosts UK economy by £1.7 billion Energy firm supports more than 18,500 jobs across the country, according to new study
- Fuel poverty committee warns of slow progress BEIS figures show just 11 per cent of fuel poor homes will be Band C or above by 2019, committee claims
- CBI calls for ‘clear’ CfD pipeline The energy industry needs policy stability and certainty to "support investment and innovation"
- Yeo calls for nuclear sector deal Former minister says there is a “strong case for doing one for nuclear”
- Big water firm failures have tarred the sector, says Ofwat chair Jonson Cox renews criticism of “highly complex, offshore capital structures” in the water sector.
- ContourGlobal to float on London Stock Exchange American firm has 69 thermal and renewable sites across three continents
- Ofgem chairman warns networks to be ‘mindful’ of their legitimacy Networks' double digit returns threaten public confidence, says David Gray
- Government makes £557m available for new renewables projects Fresh set of Contracts for Difference auctions set to take place in 2019
- Contracts for difference signed by auction winners Redruth energy-from-waste project turns down contract due to technology change
- Cory wins Tower Hamlets contract New deal will allow firm to process enough waste to power 19,000 homes
- Unpredictable policy deterring investment in energy Energy UK says certainty is needed to decarbonise the energy sector at the lowest cost to consumers
- Cap could have ‘severe’ impact on profits, analysts warn Investec predicts a £961 yearly cap could cut profit margins
AnalysisProfile: National Grid While political and regulatory risk in the UK have pegged back its share price of late, National Grid’s strategy of... SSE set for solid performance Despite taking a hit to its revenues with the sale of a stake in SGN, SSE is well placed to deliver a solid set of financial... Engie embarks on its great overhaul Like other European energy giants, France’s Engie is restructuring its business. The project will take time, but the company... More >
ColumnDNOs can’t own storage in a competitive market Ofgem lays out its plans to encourage competition in flexibility and electricity storage services. Tim Yeo: Stop squandering money on low carbon projects New Nuclear Watch Europe chairman and former chair of the energy and climate change select committee writes exclusively for... PR19: all eyes on the WACC Ofwat has warned its next price control period – PR19 – will be “tougher for the average company”. Nigel Hawkins looks at... More >
InterviewsOfgem confirms £200m cut to DNO spending Regulator wants ‘a better deal for customers’ Chris Train, chief executive, Cadent Following the creation of Cadent from National Grid's former gas distribution businesses, Chris Train reflects on the... Interview: Basil Scarsella, chief executive, UK Power Networks UK Power Networks chief executive Basil Scarsella has been voted one of the ten most transformational leaders in utilities.... More >
Market ViewTen tips on how to grow a utility business There are still plenty of opportunities to grow a utilities business, as long as the board doesn’t lose track of some... Economics driving the growth in community energy schemes Sound economics as well as sustainability make community energy schemes a rational choice for many towns and cities in... The costs and rewards of getting your telecoms systems right It is important to understand and manage the costs associated with changing processes and systems in order to get the most... More >