Markets & Trading
MEPs back plan to boost European carbon price
Draft proposals will see more allowances removed from the market and fewer auctioned off in future
- Distributed generation has 'fundamental advantage' in capacity market Peaking plant well positioned in volatile energy market
- Flow Energy to be sold off Harsh market conditions force supplier disposal
- UK’s nuclear security of supply imperiled The UK could run out of nuclear fuel following its withdrawal from Euratom.
- New CCGT to enter capacity market auction Killingholme gas plant well positioned for December capacity auction.
- Yeo backs call for CCS obligation The creation of a carbon capture and storage obligation scheme is “absolutely vital” according to the former chair of the...
- Gas and coal dominate Capacity Market Early Auction The Early Auction for the Capacity Market for delivery in 2017/18 has cleared at £6.95 per kilowatt per year – by far the...
- Capacity auction clears at lowest price yet The Capacity Market auction has cleared its lowest price yet after the Early Auction to secure backup capacity for the...
- UK in ‘difficult’ position for Brexit negotiations on gas The UK’s lack of long-term storage and dependence on imports during winter will put it in a “difficult” position when...
- Government keeps Brexit energy options open The government is keeping its options open regarding the UK’s continued participation in the European internal energy...
- Third day of bidding in Capacity Market Early Auction The third day of bidding has begun in the Capacity Market Early Auction which will secure backup capacity for next winter.
- Early Auction for Capacity Market enters second day The Early Auction for the Capacity Market has entered its second day.
- Capacity Market Early Auction begins The Early Auction for the Capacity Market to procure backup capacity for next winter (2017/18) has begun.
- Brexit poses internal energy market risk The UK’s exit from the EU raises risks for the UK’s voice in the internal energy market, MPs were warned today.
- Ofgem replaces controversial SMI Ofgem has revealed its new Supplier Cost Index, a replacement for the controversial Supply Market Indicator which it...
AnalysisTime to fight for the future of energy The energy industry has a responsibility to ensure energy considerations are a high priority within Brexit negotiations,... Capacity market auction: reaction The latest capacity market auction has failed to clear at a high enough price to secure significant volumes of the new... Analysis: A bitter winter for some The failure of GB Energy Supply was a harsh lesson in what happens if you get your hedging wrong – but does it spell danger... More >
ColumnPolitical Agenda this week, by Mathew Beech “Hard Brexit seems to be the direction the UK is headed” Column: MOSL review of the year 2016 has been an extraordinary year for MOSL and the water industry as the months have counted down ever quicker towards the... Chief executive’s view: Jo Dow, Business Stream "We must promote the benefits of the market. The shadow market has opened on time… but there is no room for complacency." More >
InterviewsInterview: Lawrence Slade, chief executive, Energy UK “The best result for everyone is a market that works for everyone.” Interview: Martin Baggs, former chief executive, Thames Water “From a water company point of view, it is too easy to say ‘here’s a list of reasons why competition won’t work’.” Interview: Roger Witcomb, energy panel chair, CMA In a tiny room, within the glassy central London offices of the Competition and Markets Authority, Utility Week sat down to... More >
Market ViewAll eyes are on the latest energy supplier insolvency When Preston-based GB Energy Supply Limited (GB Energy) announced it was going into administration – the first of its kind... Decentralisation and the blockchain: it is here, it is now and it can’t be blocked For many years, the voices clamouring for the decentralisation of energy and utility systems, the adoption of new technology... Why the capacity market favours distributed energy The UK energy market is amid a once-in-a-generation shift. Our system is rapidly moving away from traditional, large thermal... More >