Operations & Assets
The truth about developer services
The water sector gives itself high marks for developer services, but this isn’t borne out by some housebuilders’ experience....
- Scottish Water completes £1.2 million solar panel project Project will help utility firm meet renewable energy targets
- CfD prices could lead to questions about tidal contracts, analyst warns Low prices for offshore wind could put the government under "increased pressure to explain how the deal will offer value"
- NI Water delivers ‘record levels’ of wastewater compliance Utility company reports pre-tax profits of more than £100 million
- Thames Water to convert fatberg into biodiesel Fatberg discovered in an east London sewer to be converted into environmentally-friendly biodiesel
- Electric vehicles could hit mass market in five years Charger company tells Energy UK delegates “it will hit us before we know it”
- Security of supply should be banned term, says ex-MP Sector's favourite "catch-phrase" should be replaced with policies which recognise system and service risks, says Laura...
- Thames Water to increase energy extraction from sewage Water company says new techniques can help it extract 90% of calorific value from sewage sludge
- Severn Trent in major R&M recruitment drive Water company looking to hire 250 people for repairs and maintenance and engineering roles
- Ofwat CEO rejects industry fears on cost of capital Cathryn Ross knocks back water company complaints about projected cost of equity in PR19
- Ofwat sets out PR19 resilience expectations New report and cross-sector event explore “resilience in the round” challenges
- Drax to consult on coal-to-gas conversions and battery storage Yorkshire power station says latest conversions could create 3.6GW of new capacity and 200MW of storage
- Energy cost review could form basis for industrial strategy, says SSE chief Alistair Phillips-Davies positive over Helm review but warns it must deliver on investment, the low-carbon agenda and...
- White paper calls for greater skills investment to push forward projects Report finds that investment in 'human capital' yields more than four times return for energy firm
- Intelligent energy systems must work for all, say researchers There needs to be a “robust understanding of the needs of all end-users”.
- Experts hail offshore wind victory in CfD auction Low strike price is “hard evidence” technology is “getting close to maturity”.
AnalysisPR19: resilience reinvented Ofwat has set out a new vision for water company resilience in PR19 and invited industry executives to an event which will... The truth about developer services The water sector gives itself high marks for developer services, but this isn’t borne out by some housebuilders’ experience.... Four ways blockchain could revolutionise energy It’s one of the biggest buzzwords of the moment, but what is blockchain and what will it mean for the energy sector? Jamie... More >
ColumnPipe up: The changing nature of work “The nature of work is changing and companies need to be able to exploit the talents of the technically savvy younger... Political Agenda this week, by David Blackman “Falling offshore wind prices are a game-changer” Breaking the energy commandments: time to rethink security of supply? Laura Sandys calls for use of the energy sector's favourite catchphrase - security of supply - to be banned. More >
InterviewsPR19: resilience reinvented Ofwat has set out a new vision for water company resilience in PR19 and invited industry executives to an event which will... Nick Ellins, chief executive, Energy and Utility Skills As utilities ready themselves for price controls and a surge in infrastructure investment, Nick Ellins warns they must pay... Heidi Mottram, chief executive, Northumbrian Water Northumbrian Water recently hosted a first-of-its-kind 'innovation festival' which brought together industry figures,... More >
Market ViewLearnings from the ground at Stockholm World Water Week Organisations and individuals from around the world gathered in Stockholm recently for a week-long event to discuss the most... New energy suppliers are squeezing the utilities recruitment market A surge in the number of new entrants to the energy market is draining the sector's talent pool and causing salaries to... Your liability for any long hours your employees work - even if that includes a second job Working time regulations are designed with health and safety in mind, but this can be a challenge when workers have multiple... More >