Operations & Assets
The truth about developer services
The water sector gives itself high marks for developer services, but this isn’t borne out by some housebuilders’ experience....
- United Utilities to roll out Nereda treatment technology Sites in Kendal, Morecambe and Failsworth have been selected to be the first to use the new technology
- Northern Powergrid extends community projects fund Scheme now expanded to include fuel poverty projects and helping vulnerable customers
- Ofwat confirms £2m underperformance penalty for South West Water Severn Trent and Anglian reap rewards for outperformance
- Yorkshire Water to cut leakage by 40 per cent Water company welcomes leakage reduction challenge set out by Ofwat in PR19
- New electricity grid tech could save consumers £1bn a year Founders of The Faraday Grid say its ability to cope with renewables will make it ‘truly massive’ for Scotland.
- Flexitricity to become energy supplier Aggregator plans to gain access to real-time flexible electricity market
- Utility Week Awards winners revealed More than 1,400 people from across the utilities industry attended the 2017 awards
- Use subsidy-free solar to power railways, says study Solar panels connected directly to rail network could supply 10 per cent of electricity needs of direct current routes
- Go ahead for Scottish wind farms Two schemes with combined capacity of 65MW get green light from Dumfries and Galloway
- Firms threaten to walk away from SMR programme “A lot of overseas companies have almost given up on the UK,” warns one technology boss
- MPs predict 12GW of battery storage by 2021 High levels of deployment could boost UK energy security and empower consumers, claims new report
- Utilita refunds customers £3.61 million Payments were made after the supplier failed to correctly implement price cuts
- Ecotricity blasts government policy on onshore wind Dale Vince claims onshore wind has been “effectively killed off by government policy”
- Industry reacts to CMA heat network study Consumer groups hope study will be a "welcome spotlight' on unregulated firms
- Yorkshire Water goes into space to detect leaks Underground leaks in Halifax may soon be tracked down using satellites.
AnalysisNetwork Innovation Competition 2017: the winners Tom Grimwood rounds up the energy network projects which won funding in the latest round of the Network Innovation... The move to a DSO model picks up the pace Electricity network companies are beginning to roll out innovative technologies as they prepare to transform into DSOs. Tom... Event review: The Customer of the Future roundtable A Utility Week roundtable, sponsored by Vodafone, sought to identify what the customer of the future might look like, and... More >
ColumnChief executive’s view: the electric vehicle shift Demand for diesel cars is plummeting as demand for electric vehicles is on a rapid upwards trajectory. Ovo Energy chief... Pipe Up: rise of apprentices “As 2017 draws to an end, we have reason to be optimistic as a result of our collective determination to raise the bar on... Interconnectors: vital for a smart energy future Interconnectors are more than just a short-term fix, they will enable a faster transition to the smarter energy system of... More >
InterviewsRichard Flint, chief executive, Yorkshire Water “There’s a real desire to move forward on the back of what customers are saying and not wait for PR19.” Matthew Wright, managing director, Dong Energy UK "This idea of baseload is overplayed, because what we are seeing is more flexibility in the demand side." PR19: resilience reinvented Ofwat has set out a new vision for water company resilience in PR19 and invited industry executives to an event which will... More >
Market ViewOffshore wind: in risky waters The risks associated with the construction and maintenance of offshore wind projects are becoming clearer. Luisina Berberian... What the Network and Information Systems Directive means for utilities Energy cyber security expert Justin Lowe considers the implications of the EU’s Network and Information Systems Directive on... The latest developments in distributed energy resources Europe generates more electricity from renewable sources than any other region, and the focus is on distributed energy... More >