Operations & Assets
The truth about developer services
The water sector gives itself high marks for developer services, but this isn’t borne out by some housebuilders’ experience....
- Clean baseload challenge 'overplayed' by nuclear lobby The need for investment in green baseload to balance the intermittent intput of renewable energy sources is exaggerated,...
- British Gas installs first SMETS2 smart meter Device was installed in August as part of pre-roll out trial.
- Water companies failing to prevent ‘avoidable sewage’ pollution in rivers South West Water reported the most sewage pollution incidents in 2016
- Offshore wind costs have further to fall, says Dong "No suggestion at all" that costs are close to bottoming out
- Severn Trent to replace fleet with alternative fuel vehicles The water company will introduce its first fully electric vans in November
- SP Energy Networks denied £37m of innovation funding by Ofgem Regulator says key technologies are already being used by other network operators or funded through RIIO
- Energy powers UK economy by £24 billion Trade body publishes two new reports on day of annual conference
- Yorkshire Water to remove offshore banking arrangements Utility company plans to enhance its service to customers
- World’s first floating windfarm opens First minister hails windfarm as an "exciting development for renewable energy in Scotland"
- Local energy supplier coming to Doncaster Great North Energy to be launched next month to help tackle fuel poverty among residents
- Islington Council launches local energy supplier Angelic Energy is London's first new municipal energy supplier for more than a century
- Water sector must prove its legitimacy, warns Ofwat boss Scrutiny should serve as a "wake-up call to even the hardest of hearing"
- NJUG renamed Street Works UK “There is now no doubt as to who the go to organisation is for streetworks in the UK," says boss
- BEIS acts against SMETS2 transition risks Government proposes flexibility options around smart meter milestone to avoid supplier and customer detriment
- United Utilities resilience approach based on 'fearful anticipation' Chief executive Steve Mogford reflects on the water company's resilience lessons from major supply incidents
AnalysisThe government's Clean Growth Strategy: does it measure up? The government has published its long-awaited Clean Growth Strategy. So was it worth waiting for? David Blackman reports. The state of storage Recent weeks and months have brought a series of key developments for the energy storage sector. Utility Week presents the... BEIS data shows renewable generation in the ascendancy The latest figures from BEIS on the generation mix show a dramatic rise in the fortunes of renewables. By Jamie Hailstone. More >
ColumnRIIO2 will include a rethink of innovation incentives As Ofgem collects its thoughts on the structure of the next network price control, Kersti Berge says the regulator is... Pipe up: The changing nature of work “Those that embrace disruption and the technology it brings with it, will reap the rewards in the years to come.” Blockchain will enable a 21st century energy system “The distributed ledger that is blockchain will facilitate fast switching and distributed demand-side response” More >
InterviewsPR19: resilience reinvented Ofwat has set out a new vision for water company resilience in PR19 and invited industry executives to an event which will... Nick Ellins, chief executive, Energy and Utility Skills As utilities ready themselves for price controls and a surge in infrastructure investment, Nick Ellins warns they must pay... Heidi Mottram, chief executive, Northumbrian Water Northumbrian Water recently hosted a first-of-its-kind 'innovation festival' which brought together industry figures,... More >
Market ViewBooking roadworks space Why can’t roadspace booking be more like booking an airline ticket or a hotel? James Harris says the technology exists today... The EV charging market With carmakers themselves predicting the end of petrol engines, EV numbers are expected to boom, but how will owners charge... Settling the argument More >