Expert View: Haven Power
‘How embedded generation and demand-side response can help you save and earn’
A flexible approach to energy generation, consumption and cost reduction can significantly impact an organisation’s energy expenditure and income. Just ask the Estates department at Colchester Hospital University NHS Foundation Trust.
By working with electricity supplier Haven Power and demand response aggregator KiWi Power, on embedded generation and demand-side response (DSR) respectively, the department earns around £200,000 annually from power generation.
Embedded generation occurs when an electricity generator connects to the distribution (not transmission) network and benefits financially from using electricity more flexibly. However, to make the most of such schemes, you need the right information and expertise. If you do participate, you must also decide how to manage the energy produced:
1) Get paid for generating electricity through a power purchase agreement (PPA) with a supplier – such as Haven Power – and achieve Use of System savings.
2) Join the feed-in tariff (FIT) scheme and get paid by a FIT licensee for the electricity you produce, including the power you use.
3) Keep the option to export via a range of demand response programmes, while deciding not to do so straight away.
The Trust’s Estates department currently manages its generated energy by taking advantage of PPAs through Haven Power and various DSR services from KiWi Power.
The Estates team worked with Haven Power to find additional flexibility and value in the standard terms of the supply contract. To help the department minimise or avoid high-cost consumption, the supplier provides a daily triad report between November and February each year plus within-day updates where necessary.
KiWi Power’s bespoke solution helps the department optimise usage of the Trust’s five generators across multiple sites. Remotely controlling the generators via real-time metering hardware and regulation systems, KiWi Power also collects the meter’s data reports, sends them to National Grid, and alerts the department whenever there’s a demand response event.
Amplifying the advantages
To help simplify the complexity – and boost the benefits – of DSR and embedded generation, the Trust works alongside KiWi Power and Haven Power. They have the relevant expertise to help customers maximise all available revenues and savings, and to benefit from other opportunities. This ensures that the Trust remains a forward thinking and innovative energy user.
For more information about embedded generation and DSR, please get in touch with Haven Power, quoting reference HP252. t: 01473 707755; e: email@example.com;
- Big Six price cap legal challenge a possibility Eon boss refuses to rule out legal challenge as he warns cap 'could become permanent'
- Suppliers 'ill advised' to thwart price cap - Ofgem CEO Dermot Nolan expects co-operation from companies over safeguard tariff
- Water firms face pressure on credit quality from 2020 Research from Moody’s says most companies will come under pressure in the wake of the PR19 price review