Renewable energy supplier Bulb has announced a new partnership with environmental company Climate Care.

Bulb, which already provides 10 per cent green gas to customers, will use the partnership to offset the remaining 90 per cent.

The partnership will help fund carbon reduction projects around the world, including solar and wind projects in Asia as well as rainforest protection in Africa.

Hayden Wood, co-founder and chief executive of Bulb, said: “We’re on a mission to help people lower their bills and cut carbon emissions. Today, we’re proud to take more positive action to lower emissions.

“We supply 10 per cent green gas to all our members and now we’re offsetting the remaining 90 per cent by supporting carbon reduction projects across the world. Importantly, this change comes at no extra cost to our members.

“We supply more than one million people with affordable, renewable energy and we hope this step encourages many more to make the switch.”

Edward Hanrahan, Climate Care chief executive, said: “This programme really demonstrates how organisations can tackle climate change in a way that also makes good business sense – that is true sustainable business.

“We are delighted to be working with such a progressive and forward-thinking energy provider to help them and their members act today – achieving climate neutrality in a way that also improves people’s lives.”

Jonathon Porritt, founder of Forum for the Future, said: “It’s great to see green energy products becoming mainstream.

“As production of renewable biogas grows, the partnership between Bulb and Climate Care is an excellent example of how business can take full responsibility for the emissions it generates, whilst having a material and beneficial impact for both people and the environment.”