Offshore wind tech firms split seven figure innovation pot
You’ve reached your limit!
To continue enjoying Utility Week Innovate, brought to you in association with Utility Week Live or gain unlimited Utility Week site access choose the option that applies to you below:
Register to access Utility Week Innovate
- Get the latest insight on frontline business challenges
- Receive specialist sector newsletters to keep you informed
- Access our Utility Week Innovate content for free
- Join us in bringing collaborative innovation to life at Utility Week Live
Ten tech start-ups have secured more than £1 million funding to deliver solutions for the UK’s offshore wind industry.
Part of the Offshore Renewable Energy (ORE) Catapult’s second Launch Academy accelerator programme, the ten firms have each developed a solution for issues within the offshore wind industry, from providing 5G at sea to replacing diesel engines in marine vessels with renewable hydrogen steam power.
The Launch Academy’s nine-month – BP, ScottishPower Renewables and Scottish Enterprise-backed – programme was established in 2019 and focuses on commercialising near-to-market products and solutions within the offshore wind industry.
It brings technology development and business support under one roof, allowing companies to access its in-house technical capability, alongside a range of business growth expertise from our partners.
The programme takes a ten-strong cohort per year and offers legal, marketing, accountancy, intellectual property, HR and investor readiness support, alongside modules delivered by ORE Catapult – including technology assessment, export market introductions, supply chain readiness and business case review.
- Supporting customers through this winter and identifying emerging vulnerabilities are among the key themes at the Utility Week Forum, which will take place in London on 8-9 November. Find out more here.
The following companies will receive support services worth approximately £25,000 each alongside funding to help them develop their technology, business and commercialise their solutions.
- 4Ax Technologies – Remotely controlled, AI-equipped, internal inspection of turbine blades.
- Crack Map – Non-contact inspection technology combining AI and fracture mechanics.
- MasterFilter – Enhanced filtration devices for lubrication systems within wind turbines and reduce mechanical wear.
- JET Engineering System Solutions – 5G connectivity at sea for reliable communications and real-time data collection via robust floating networks.
- VRAI – Data-driven VR simulation training for high hazard environments.
- Force 55 – Software delivering real-time, geo-referenced, status updates for offshore workers and assets.
- Future Energy Associates – Data science tools for wind farm development and optimisation.
- MJR Power & Automation – A charging system for battery electric crew transfer vessels.
- IONATE – Hybrid intelligent transformer with comprehensive power-flow control, enabling safe and affordable integration of renewables.
- Steamology – Hydrogen steam powered engine for the decarbonisation of marine vessels.
Utility Week Innovate, in collaboration with Utility Week Live aims to discover and promote innovative approaches to tackle front line business challenges through case studies, technical/project studies, networking, and live content. Be recognised as a key solution provider and meet your target audience face-to-face at UWL23. Find out more about exhibiting