Ensuring communications are fit for future networks
Event Date: 25/03/2022 10:00 am
The move towards a smarter and more flexible energy system will be underpinned at every level by a robust communications network. However, current telecommunications infrastructure is currently simply not fit to handle the changing needs of an energy transition. This webinar will explore the urgent need to ensure operational communications are fit for future networks.
The move towards a smarter and more flexible energy system will be underpinned at every level by a robust communications network. But to what extent is this vital element of the energy transition factored into the decarbonisation blueprints being developed by network companies?
Current telecommunications infrastructure is simply not fit to handle the changing needs of the energy system but the industry has historically adopted a piecemeal approach to solutions. There is an urgent need to ensure the capability and scale of operational telecommunications is fit for the purpose of the energy transition.
In this webinar, in association with the Joint Radio Company (JRC), Utility Week will bring together energy networks to ask whether enough is being done to ensure they have sufficient, resilient telecommunications support and explore how this needs to develop to support the energy transition from an industry perspective.
Participants will include:
- Dr Peter Couch, chief executive, JRC
- Dozie Nnabuife, electricity system restoration engineer, National Grid ESO
- Ian Smith, chair of the ENA’s strategic telecomms group and logistics manager at Western Power Distribution
- Jonathan Collins, Cadent Gas
The webinar will discuss the following topics, among others:
- The part telecommunications can play in supporting the development of a smart grid and the kinds of infrastructure necessary for different potential future network models
- The ownership structure and operational model for this kind of telecommunications infrastructure
- The need for executive buy-in on the essential role of communications in the net-zero journey and how this can be achieved
- The part regulation can play in supporting a robust, national telecommunications system for energy networks
- The role of telecommunications in the event of a black start outage
Register to watch on-demand here.