Speaking at the inaugural Consumer Vulnerability Conference last week, Dan Walker-Nolan, principal of strategy and policy at Ofwat, spoke to delegates about addressing vulnerability in the water sector.
he outlined six key ways water companies can take steps towards improving the ever-relevant issue of debt management.
- Send out bills more frequently
- Encourage customers to pay in bite-size instalments
- Know who is moving in and out of properties they supply
- Give real consequences for those who can pay but won’t
- Make sure customers who are eligible for help receive it
- Understand what will help different types of customers to pay
In addition to these points, he talked about the importance of debt management in relation to preventing vulnerability.
He said: “We are looking forward to receiving PR19 business plans and seeing water companies rise to our challenge of delivering great service to customers in vulnerable positions”